La Boissiére-Ecole 1815
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food/Drink for the Canteen

4 posters

Go down

Food/Drink for the Canteen Empty Food/Drink for the Canteen

Post  Marc Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Right, if you have been reading the forum (well, the post about the scenario of the canteen anyway), you will see that there is a canteen being prepared...

What sort of products do you think might be worthwhile for this canteen to have?
Marc
Marc
Admin

https://laboissiere1815.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Food/Drink for the Canteen Empty Re: Food/Drink for the Canteen

Post  Nanny Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi Mark
Enough Cidre, some Port and only a little bit Whisky will be the right.
Maybe still a little cheese and bacon, if some money should be left, after you have paid the really important things.
I will bring eatable little things like Shortbread and some sweets with me and the soldiers can pay it with their historical money and also glucose and magnesium, if one of the soldiers should suffer too much exhaustion or in cramps in the calf.

Nanny

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:06 am

Hi Nanny,

I take it that the cidre, port and abit of whiskey is the really important elements. Wink

Bacon might be abit tough to find in France (and I have a concern that it might not last a whole day in the hot LBE weather...it is pork meat). However, I can definately think about the cheese side, yeah. Looking at Derk's experience, soft cheese is to be avoided and some good hard chesses favoured instead.

glucose and magnesium, if one of the soldiers should suffer too much exhaustion or in cramps in the calf.

Good idea...this reminds me: Does anyone have access to a first aid kit with bandages (perhaps you are a group safety officer)? I've got a small first aid kit that my workers use on building sites.
Marc
Marc
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nanny Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:17 am

I do not know whether is announced by the Gordons A.J. (its his normal job) but if necessary I have been trained for the company-first-aid with the fire brigade in my hometown (during 4 weeks) and I repeat it also every year. In a bad situation better as nothing.

No! No Soft Cheese!!!! Laughing
In Germany is smoked bacon very cheap, there I can bring what from.

Nanny

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Townsend Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Alcohol, definitely! Its the one thing I require in the evening that I hate having to carry. Eggs would be nice as well. The 2/95th will be carrying a first aid kit (C21st version).

Ben Townsend

Back to top Go down

Post  Nanny Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:03 pm

.Hi Ben

Fresh eggs only if we can "organisate" someone in one of the Villages there - knowking on the door and ask! Cooked eggs ok... I'll think about it. Though they also are sensitively by her own packaging, but they leave in a crash not such a dirty trick!

Last edited by Nanny on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nanny

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:24 pm

OK then Ben...We'll stick your C21st First Aid Kit into the "farb bag" of the waggon and hope that it is not needed if that's alright with you.

I would agree...get out there and start knocking on people's doors and scavage your eggs! That what campaigning is all about!
Marc
Marc
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cook McBaile Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi,

iff necessarry I can take the 92nd first aid kit with me - packed in a white canvas bag for the luggage-car-group.

food stuff: can get some extra bread, serano ham and good dutch chees, only thing is the expense...
maybe some extra drinkingwater...

saw somewhere a request for "period correct" watercontainers. is this still not solved?
I might have a look around for kind of milk containers in my family of farmers. this kind of container was also used for the horses last year. can't say that they are period correct, but they do keep water in them.

Cook McBaile

cook McBaile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi McBaile,

I might have a look around for kind of milk containers in my family of farmers. this kind of container was also used for the horses last year. can't say that they are period correct, but they do keep water in them.

I can live with these sort of containers especially if it is for water.

However, the problem I can see on the horizon is containers to be able to store the sutleresses's food and drink...we would need wooden chests, bags and the like to be able to store the bottles safely...anyone other there got an idea or such items?
Marc
Marc
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Townsend Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:47 pm

I don't know if it is the case over there, but here most households have a traditional wicker picnic hamper with a leather strap that can hold a lot of bottles wrapped in straw. Keeps em cool too..

Ben Townsend

Back to top Go down

Post  Nanny Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi :9

There is such a thing with us also, only I have none of it Wink
Commonly it was also to be used old wine bottles in a basket as a water tank.
One could take my little one (7 litres) also for the Cidre.
I believe, this a well-arranged cord to also do not tie the worst idea would be!
regards
Nanny

Nanny

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:10 pm

I think that if everyone brings something, we'll easily be able to organise the canteen so please do!
Marc
Marc
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down