La Boissiére-Ecole 1815
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Work horses for cavalry

2 posters

Go down

Work horses for cavalry Empty Re: Work horses for cavalry

Post  drouot Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:02 pm

Potentially two draft horses and two riding horses for guard foot artillery. what are likely costs?

drouot

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:07 am

Work horses could be possible...The Percherons that we've used in the past to pull the waggon-train could be available now that I'm trying to get over to donkeys. Last year, the hire of the horses cost in the region of 360 € for the weekend.

Riding horses may well be an issue as I've got to look for 25+ for the Allied cavalry. But to give you an idea, it cost 160 € last year to hire one.
Marc
Marc
Admin

https://laboissiere1815.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  drouot Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:21 pm

The horse hire for the percherons would add considerably to our costs for the event, I will report back to the group and take it from their. We would need some form of traction though to move a gun. Are they driven or lead? Is the harness correct? Percherons are not correct size horses to move artillery pieces historically as the breed did not emerge fully till after the epoch.

The riding horses. One is for myself, the other for our vivandier to carry our water, food etc in panniers. we can stow baggage on the gun.

drouot

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Traction? Do you not have your own bits to connect the horses to the gun? The percherons to this day have always been lead by their owner whilst the horse team that the 4eme use is ridden...and the harnesses have to be provided by the re-enactors or the owner uses his own.

I've made a note of your request for riding horses but before I make a job of finding even more horses, I'd need you to make sure that your group is coming along.
Marc
Marc
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  drouot Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:13 pm

all our harness, traces, collars etc is owned by the people who provide us with horses at event in UK. We dont own any horse equipment beyond personal saddles and bridles.

drouot

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:32 pm

OK, then it would be pretty much the same here: Owner provides his own harnasses.
Marc
Marc
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum