La Boissiére-Ecole 1815
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

United-Battalion

Go down

United-Battalion Empty United-Battalion

Post  Marc Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Evening all,

For 2009, I tried to organise a composite "united-company" set-up with all the infantry of the Allied detachement...with mixed results. It worked up until a point when we had to detach skirmishers and at that point, the national differences in uniform made it more suitable to put the Scots out and the Dutch in formation.

For 2010, I wish to try the formation again but with the greater numbers of foot that may well come down to the plains of Rambouillet.

How would this be organised? Taking into account possible (read: theortical) numbers, this is what I see:

Battalion Commander

1st (Dutch) Company - Composed of 1x platoon commander, 2x supernumery NCOs with perhaps 1x supernumery officer/NCO and will contain Dutch line and militia soldiers.
2nd (British) Company - Composed of 1x platoon commander, 2x supernumery NCOs with perhaps 1x supernumery officer/NCO and will contain British red-coat soldiers.
3rd (Rifles) Company - Composed of 1x platoon commander, 2x supernumery NCOs with perhaps 1x supernumery officer/NCO and will contain all green jacket soldiers (regardless of nationality).

There may be the possibility that another company could be formed but let's for work with this for now.

These companies would act together as if they were platoons of a battalion and not as individual units for the purposes of marching, fighting and bivouacing. Skirimishing will be conducted by a company (each company will be rotated to let everyone have a go at everything) which will completely surround the battalion when in column of march, and will be charged with placing sentinels around the detachement when halted.

The orders from the battalion commander will be in English and based upon British regulations. The Dutch, being sensible fellows and knowing more languages than their British counterparts, will have their commander "translate" the order into Dutch regulation commands.

Why such a formation? Well, because it is probably more accurate to recreate a battalion for the purposes of this event than having association-units, further immersing ourselves and also, enable greater co-operation between participants...And give a command structure that I can easily work with.
Marc
Marc
Admin

https://laboissiere1815.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down